Immigration Equality is seeking an enthusiastic paralegal to provide administrative support to our legal staff in New York City. Immigration Equality is the nation’s leading LGBTQ immigrant rights organization. We represent and advocate for people from around the world fleeing persecution because of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or HIV status. Immigration Equality provides direct legal services through our award winning Pro Bono Asylum Program and fights for change in U.S. immigration law. Through education, outreach, advocacy, and the maintenance of a nationwide network of resources, we provide information and support to advocates, attorneys, politicians and those who are threatened by persecution or the discriminatory impact of the law. We have won legal immigration status for more than 900 immigrants to date while maintaining a remarkable 99% success rate.
- Assist answering Immigration Equality’s hotline and respond to requests for legal assistance
- Respond to calls/letters from detained immigrants seeking legal representation
- Maintain our client database and update our dockets
- Assist legal staff with case work, including preparing certain immigration
- application forms, copying and filing papers, gathering evidence, researching and indexing country conditions materials, etc.
- Digitize and organize existing country conditions materials, sample briefs, and other materials which support asylum applications (and/or supervise volunteers on this project)
- Assist pro bono team with case placement, including preparing case summaries and referral letters, and interacting with pro bono coordinators at law firms
- Translate evidence and other documents into English (and/or supervise volunteers on this project)
- Provide attorney referrals in appropriate cases
- Assess clients’ needs and provide referrals to social services when necessary
- Schedule client intake appointments for legal staff
- Translate during in-person and/or phone interviews
- Provide general legal administrative support
- Represent Immigration Equality at community events and outreach efforts
- Travel and overtime as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have an undergraduate or advanced degree
- Must be organized and detail oriented (this position presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who is considering law school)
- Must multitask well
- Must have a sincere commitment and interest in advocating for equality for LGBTQ/HIV-positive people under U.S. immigration law
- Fluency in Spanish required (spoken; written and reading comprehension)
- And French fluency is preferred (spoken; written and reading comprehension)
Immigration Equality is an affirmative action employer: immigrants and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality fosters a progressive; LGBTQ-friendly, work space, and applicants must demonstrate the ability to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
Salary & Benefits: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, and employee retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a chronological resume and compelling cover letter with “Paralegal” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applicants who are invited for interviews will also be required to submit a short writing sample and references.
No phone calls please. Electronic submission of documents only.
Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 403(b) plan, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
English, Russian, Spanish, French
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Powered by WPeMatico